The mac hard drive recovery can really be hard to do if you don’t know the correct way.
In the worst case, it can make your problem become even severe. The result is you won’t be able to recover your data. For that reason, we create this article for you.
Below, we will explain several mac hard drive recovery methods you can use to recover data from your failed hard drive. These methods are specially created for Mac OS.
Using the Data Recovery Software
The first method is using the best Mac data recovery software. You can find a lot of software for this purpose.
Most of them have a similar way to use. Basically, you need to do a few steps with the software of your choice:
- Using the software deep scan,
- Once it found the file or data that you are looking for, you can preview it first before recover,
- Start the recover data from Mac hard drive process.
However, you need to make sure that you have enough space to keep the recovered data. You can use either other partitions in your hard drive or removable storage, such as an external hard drive.
Of course, the location where you are going to put your data must be supported by Mac OS.
There is also a unique recover file from Mac hard drive method using the imaging software. This method is the best choice if the deep scan can’t find the file that you are looking for.
Just make sure, you use the best Mac data recovery software for this method. What you need to do are:
- Create an image file of the hard drive where your data were located. You can use backup software or such to do this.
- Save the image file in a separate location. The image file usually comes in “.dmg” format.
- Then, you can use the backup software to open the image file and recover files from Mac hard drive that you want.
Using Disk Utility
Disk Utility is one of the features of Mac OS that you can find on Recovery Mode. Therefore, this is a good method, if the hard drive doesn’t start, when you turn on your Mac. How to use this mac hard disk recovery method? Here is what you need to do.
- Restart your Mac and press and hold Command + R. This will activate the Recovery Mode.
- Then, you will find 4 options for repairing the hard drive. Choose Disk Utility.
- It will run the First Aid process to repair the disk.
- Once it’s done and successfully repair it, you can access the hard drive.
One thing that you need to remember is Disk Utility feature has some limitation. One of them is it can’t repair the corrupted partition and advanced error. So, you can only use this mac hard disk recovery method, if the problem isn’t that severe.
Target Disk Mode
Before you try this Mac data recovery method, we need to remind you that this is an advanced level method. Therefore, it’s only for you who have more knowledge about Mac. If you are a beginner, it’s not recommended to use this method. Now, if you want to use Target Disk Mode, you will need an extra cable, which is Firewire or Thunderbolt.
You use the cable to connect two Mac computers, the working one and the Mac with the corrupted hard drive. You need to do this so you can transfer the file from the corrupted hard drive to the healthy one. Now, let’s see how to do this method for data recovery for Mac.
- Connect two Macs with the cable,
- Turn on the Mac with failed hard drive and press “T” letter on your keyboard immediately. It will activate the Firewire mode.
- Now, take a look at the healthy Mac. You will find the icon of the Macintosh HD with Firewire symbol on it. This is the failed drive in the other Mac.
- Next, you just need to use the disk repair feature on the healthy Mac to repair the failed drive. Then, just copy and recover data from Mac hard drive after the reparation process is finished.
Basically, if you know how to do the Mac data recovery, this problem can be solved easily. Just make sure you don’t make another mistake in the middle of the recovery process. It is also a wise decision to ask for help from professional if you don’t know how to do all the steps above. It will minimize the mistake and problem occurs during the data recovery for Mac.